#1 International Student Health Insurance

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who can apply?

The insurance is suitable for international students, interns, au pair’s, academics, researchers, and their family members (spouse, children) if the following applies:

– All foreign students, interns, au pair’s, academics, researchers in the EU / EEA.

– All EU / EEA resident students, interns, au pair’s, academics, researchers studying or training abroad excluding US Territories and Canada.

Q. Which student health insurance is required for the Nederlands (Dutch) student visa?

In the Netherlands, medical insurance for students is mandatory

If your nationality is outside of European Union

If your nationality is other than from the European Union, then you are considered as a third country.

As fulltime student, you are eligible to buy Swisscare’s private international health insurance before arrival in the Netherlands. Swisscare’s insurance plan covers the minimum requirements for covering medical treatments in the Netherlands.

Swisscare’s insurance plan offers the following benefits :

  1. plan can be used for obtaining dutsch visa
  2. plan covering emergency medical treatments in the Netherlands
  3. plan includes assistance benefits like
  • Repatriation to the home country
  • Ambulance by air, sea and ground
  • Search and rescue
  • Accidental death and disability benefits
  • Third party liability insurance

EU/EEA Nationals

Students with nationality from EU/EEA countries can request in their home country the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Thanks this card, EU/EEA nationals can benefit of the same cover as the Netherlands .

However, the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any travel protection, search and rescue, repatriation to the home country, emergency dental treatments, assistance… A private insurance is highly recommended in the Netherlands also for EU/EEA nationals during the entire stay in the Netherlands.

Q. How can I change my address?

You can change your address by logging into your customer account or using the MySwisscare app on iOS or Android.

Q. Hospital treatments, general practitioners or dentists, what is covered?

If you are in need of medical treatment, it is important the treatment is undertaken by a doctor whose certification is officially recognized in the country you receive your treatment. Depending on the insurance coverage you have chosen, certain exclusions may be applicable. We recommend that the General Insurance Conditions are consulted and if it is not clear, to ask questions concerning reimbursement and claims directly to the concerned claim service. Outpatient treatments (meaning you don’t have an overnight stay in a medical facility) generally have to be paid in advance, then you can proceed to submit your claim to the claim service via email, or via your customer account or the iOS / Android app.

In the case of hospital admission for inpatient treatment (meaning an overnight stay), you can present your digital insurance card saved on your MySwisscare account or on the iOS or Android app. If the inpatient facility requires further information, you can simply click or tap share – and then enter the email address given by the hospital. They will then receive the complete insurance policy with all the details. Most of the time, inpatient treatments will be billed directly to the concerned insurer, however, they may request a security deposit.

Dentists are usually not covered unless there is an accident. Should a plan provide coverage for dental treatments this will be stated in the General Insurance Conditions (GIC’s and the benefits list).

Q. What is a deductible?

The insurance deductible is a fixed sum that is at the expense of the insured in the case of a claim covered by the chosen insurance policy. The general insurance conditions define the amount and the scope of application.

The deductible can be calculated per contractual year, per calendar year, for a specific duration, for a specific treatment or for a specific insurance cover. Not all insurance products are submitted to a deductible.

The insurance deductible is also stated on the insurance policy.

Q. How do I claim my medical expenses?


Please note that coverage is only provided for the benefits stated in the General Insurance Conditions. At times exclusions are also applicable and they vary depending on the insurance product. It is recommendable to verify the coverage of the chosen product in advance. In the case of outpatient treatment (no overnight stay at a medical facility), the insured always has to pay for the medical treatments (doctor’s, pharmacy, specialists, hospital outpatient treatments) in advance. To ensure you are refunded quickly, it is recommendable to follow the claim procedure via your customer account or by using the MySwissare iOS or Android App.

  • Log into your MySwisscare Account
  • Select the concerned insurance policy and complete the online fields
  • Take a picture and/or upload the pdf or jpg file of your detailed invoice
  • Take a picture and/or upload the proof of payment (bank receipt or cash payment receipt from the pharmacy, doctor, specialist, hospital…)
  • Short statement concerning the medical issue and the administered treatment
  • Send / Submit

How long does it take for a refund to be made?

Once the concerned claim service has received all required documentation the insurer will initiate the refund procedure. In most instances, a refund is effected within 30 days of submission of the complete documentation. During peak seasons (for example December) it is possible that a refund will take longer. If within 45 days you have not been refunded by the insurer, we recommend that you contact them directly via email or our contact form.

Q. How long does it take until I receive my insurance policy?

Instantly if you pay by credit card

If you pay your insurance by credit card, you can download your insurance policy immediately.

Payment by bank transfer: it may take up to two weeks

Payments coming from the EU/EEA or Switzerland usually only take around 2-3 bank office days until we receive them, and then shortly after it is credited to our account the payment will be visible in your personal MySwisscare Account. You will receive an email confirming reception.

Payments made from outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland can take up to two weeks until they are credited to our account. As soon as we have received them, you will receive an email confirming reception.

You can pay by credit card at any time to receive your insurance policy instantly.

Just log into your MySwisscare account and under the tab “finance” you can choose to pay your insurance premium by credit card. After a few seconds, you will be able to download your insurance policy.

Q. How do I cancel my insurance?

You can cancel your insurance before the start date of coverage. Termination with a refund is only possible in the following circumstances:

Cancellation accepted with a full refund

If the embassy or consulate refuses your visa, you can request the cancellation of your insurance by sending the official refusal letter of the embassy to us. Once your request has been verified, we will refund you by the same method initially used for the payment.

Cancellation after the start date, no refund possible

If the insurance coverage begins, then it is no longer possible to cancel and obtain a refund without an official visa refusal. In this case, the entire insurance premium is due and must be paid.

Q. What to do in case of an emergency or claim?

What to do in case of an emergency or claim?

In case of an emergency, you contact the Alarm Service. By emergencies, we mean e.g. repatriation, accidents, (outpatient) clinical treatment in a hospital, hospitalization and at the start of your return on medical indication. You then do exactly what the Alarm Service requires from you.

The alarm service is available for you 24/7. We offer advice concerning the steps to be taken and organize the necessary support.

How can you declare your costs?

The claims department is for reporting damage. For example damage to your luggage and costs for visiting a doctor when you are ill.

You can report a damage in your personal account online at www.swisscare.com or use the MySwisscare app. Always report damage as soon as possible.

The claims department is available from Monday to Friday during office hours. We advise you on how to report a claim and which details need to be handed over.

Advanced payment of all expenses

All expenses for claims must be paid in advance by you before we will proceed to the reimbursement, except for:

  • admission in a hospital for inpatient treatments
  • search and rescue

For these two cases, you have to provide the alarm service with the complete contact details of the hospital or authorities immediately in order to establish a guarantee of payment.

Pending claims

If your claim is already being handled by Sedgwick, then they will further process this claim.

Q. How can I arrange an obligated Dutch Basic Healthcare Insurance

Where can I arrange an obligated Dutch Basic Healthcare Insurance?

In most cases, you are obligated to take out public healthcare insurance when you work in the Netherlands during your study. The public healthcare insurance in the Netherlands provides cover for the most necessary care, such as hospitalisation, emergency help and general practitioner.

Are you obliged to apply for Dutch Basic Healthcare Insurance?

  • HollandZorg arrange this application for you.
  • Apply Online
  • To apply, simply complete the online application form with HollandZorg
How can I register with HollandZorg and how much time do I have?

There are two ways of registering with HollandZorg:

  • Individually; you can take out our public healthcare insurance and supplementary insurance online;
  • Through your employer; this is possible only when your employer has taken out a group contract with HollandZorg.



You should register as soon as possible, but no later than four months after you join the service of your employer.


Q. Swisscare news concerning Corona (COVID-19) ISIE


The coronavirus broke out in China at the end of 2019. In other countries, people are now infected with the coronavirus. The virus is spread from person to person, but also via the air.

Are you traveling in the area where the coronavirus occurs, or are you traveling here soon? Then you may have questions about your insurance coverage. In this message, we have listed the most frequently asked questions about coverage.

We advise you to always follow the instructions of local authorities. We also advise you to keep an eye on the website of the World Health Organization (WHO): https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019.

Do you feel sick?

If you have flu symptoms, you should call a doctor as soon as possible. If the doctor has determined that you are infected with the coronavirus, contact the Alarm Service. They can be reached on telephone number +3150 520 9780.

Does my insurance cover the cost of the coronavirus?

Contrary to article 2.18 i General exclusions in the GIC’s for “ International Student Health Insurance Europe 05-2020”, the medical costs related to COVID-19 for all the student insurance policies with a start date from 01 November, 2020 on, are covered. The insurer reimburses the medical costs as a result of a COVID-19 infection. Repatriation due to the Coronavirus however, is not covered. This applies to all three levels Standard, Comfort and Premium ,up to a maximum insured amount of € 50,000 per policy.

Coverage with negative travel advice (Code Orange)

If you go to your travel destination when negative travel advice is valid for your travel destination, then you are not insured for damage related to the coronavirus. Were you already at your travel destination when the Orange code was issued and are you getting sick? Then you have coverage until you can leave the area. The costs for repatriation to your home country are not insured. If you can leave the area, but you decide to stay, the coverage will expire. The same also applies if negative travel advice is given for another area in the future. Travel Insurance for tourism and business If you have a Travel Insurance for tourism and business, the costs for repatriation to your home country are insured.

I’m sick and being treated. The coronavirus is declared an epidemic/pandemic at my destination, while I am sick and being treated. Am I insured?

You are then still covered for medical expenses.

I am in an infected area, but I am not infected myself. I do have to be in quarantine. Is this covered?

No this is not covered.

Can I still cancel my insurance or go home earlier if there is negative travel advice?

You will not receive a premium refund if you go home earlier or decide to cancel the insurance after the starting date of the period of coverage stated on the insurance policy. You can cancel the insurance if the insurance has not yet started (starting date of the period of coverage stated on the insurance policy). You will then receive a refund of the premium you have paid.

Can I have myself tested preventively for coronavirus?

There is no cover for preventive testing for the coronavirus.


Send us a message with your question and we will respond within 24 hours. Required fields are indicated with an asterisk *

    Ready to get started ?