In the Netherlands, medical insurance for students is mandatory
If your nationality is outside of European Union
If your nationality is other than from the European Union, then you are considered as a third country.
As fulltime student, you are eligible to buy Swisscare’s private international health insurance before arrival in the Netherlands. Swisscare’s insurance plan covers the minimum requirements for covering medical treatments in the Netherlands.
Swisscare’s insurance plan offers the following benefits :
1. plan can be used for obtaining dutsch visa
2. plan covering emergency medical treatments in the Netherlands
3. plan includes assistance benefits like
- Repatriation to the home country
- Ambulance by air, sea and ground
- Search and rescue
- Accidental death and disability benefits
- Third party liability insurance
Students with nationality from EU/EEA countries can request in their home country the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Thanks this card, EU/EEA nationals can benefit of the same cover as the Netherlands .
However, the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any travel protection, search and rescue, repatriation to the home country, emergency dental treatments, assistance… A private insurance is highly recommended in the Netherlands also for EU/EEA nationals during the entire stay in the Netherlands.